It's Saturday in Athens

It's Saturday in Athens

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Washaun out, Caleb in. Isaiah still in high school.

I have been away from this blog for a very, very long time, and have decided it will keep my writing skills sharp if I make an effort to pick it back up. Last season was a frustrating one for a Dawg die-hard like myself. One of the side effects of being a fan in the SEC is the constant hate and negativity you get from rivals and media. Last year got to me a bit, but I have decided that nothing can EVER change my love for all things UGA football and the SEC.

So let's pick it up with the most recent news: WASHAUN EALEY RELEASED.

The kid is a knucklehead. No other way to look at it. Bonehead  arrest last season, prima donna attitude, fumbles on the 1 yard line, missing punishment runs....... bad apple.

However, I truly feel sorry for the kid. When you hype up a kid's ego from the age of 16 or so, pull him out of Emanuel County, Georgia (population 300 or so + 600 cows + 1 traffic light) and stick him in into the relentless SEC fans' judgment, the media's harsh realism, all on top of a magnificent and tempting town like Athens, GA, the kid is going to mess up. However, this is where the true character of a kid needs to come through. Everything was provided for Ealey to be the most successful individual in the world, regardless of if he ever saw the endzone in his football career. I cannot help but think that no matter where he ends up, he will one day sit in a rocking chair as an older, much more mature man, and realize what he had and how he wasted it. And for that regret to weigh heavy on him, I feel bad.


But enough pity. Where does leave the UGA running game? Fine, I say. Caleb King has been the most injury prone, overly hyped RB out of the state of Georgia since Jasper Sanks. When healthy, we have seen glimpses of the kid we drooled over at Parkview High School and Greater Atlanta Christian School. He claims to be in the best shape of his life, and call it the "blind-homer-optimist" in me, but I think we will see a lot more of the success this year. Since being suspended for the Liberty Bowl for "missing academic appointments" (mind you, this is NOT failing classes, this is missing study hall and/or tutoring sessions required by the football team), I have seen a bit of a light click in in King's head. He looked great in his minimal attempts at G-Day last month, and has had a few quotes about the new strength and conditioning program and incoming competition that has satisfied me.

I am not worried about Caleb King gaining 1,000 yards this season. I do not think it is necessary. We are a throwing team anyway, though the desire to have the dominate RB is always there. Aaron Murray should be great in his second year, and with the exit of A.J. Green, we are about to recognize weapons we didn't know we had in Tavarrees King, Marlon Brown and Rontavious Wooten. If we can get 700-800 yards from Caleb King this season, and a few TD's, I will be happy.

Many of you want to say: "But we have Isaiah Crowell coming in, the next Herschel Walker!!"............

The only thing I have to say about Isaiah.... HE IS STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL. Leave the kid alone, and we will worry about him when he gets to campus.

I have lots I want to blog about, since I really do not know or talk to anybody on a consistent basis who shares the passion and love for the Dawgs and an SEC Saturday afternoon the way I do. I will attempt to write these more often, and be more insightful than this quick opinion.

GO DAWGS!!
116 days til kickoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment